EU Green Deal Transformation – Opportunities and Challenges Conference
On June 30th, 2021, AmCham Bulgaria organized “EU Green Deal Transformation: Opportunities and Challenges”.
Its overview will follow.
Meanwhile enjoy the photo gallery and the presentations:
- Boyan Rashev, denkstatt Bulgaria – “EU Green Deal: Risk and Opportunities before Energy and Industry”
- Ass. Prof. Krassen Stanchev, Institute for Market Economics – “Bulgaria Elections, Economy & The Green Deal – The Big Picture”
- Albena Markova, Partner, PwC Bulgaria – “Technical Assistance for the Preparation of the Just Transition Territorial Plans in Bulgaria”
- Prof. Ivaylo Koprev, Rector, University of Mining and Geology – “Solutions, Opportunities, and Challenges Before the Clean Energy Transition”
AmCham Bulgaria Position Paper on EU Green Deal, June 30th, 2021
Date(s) - 30/06/2021
2:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Grand Hotel Millennium
AmCham Bulgaria cordially invites you to a hybrid event
“EU Green Deal Transformation – Opportunities and Challenges”
on June 30th, 2021
In order to develop its economic potential and achieve both the status of an industrialized and low-carbon economy, Bulgaria needs significant investments in strategic industries such as mining and processing of resources, energy and digital infrastructure. This is a new transition, as industrialization has always led to increasing in the carbon footprint. The last European countries to reach the level of developed industrial economies are Poland and the Czech Republic, but they completed this process before the entry into force of the Green Deal. Therefore, in order for Bulgaria to succeed, we need political, social and economic mobilization.
Тhe event goals are:
- To outline the challenges before the Bulgarian transformation into an industrialized country, avoiding the so-called “middle income trap” during the entry into force of the European Green Deal.
- To focus on the necessary factors for Bulgaria’s transition to the status of industrialized and low-carbon economy: development of a high-tech industry based on: resource security; energy stability, diversification and decarbonization and developed digital infrastructure.
- To emphasize the loss of competitiveness of the EU and the socio-economic price in the implementation of the Green Deal through the so-called de-growth or self-destruction of industrial, scientific and social capacity.
- To focus on the good practices of international companies with a presence in Bulgaria which are implemented in other countries.
|13:30 – 14:00||Registration and welcome coffee|
|14:00 – 14:30||Opening Panel|
|Speakers:||Prof. Iliya Garkov, PhD, Co-Chair, AmCham Green Deal WG; Vice President, Dundee Precious Metals; |
Managing Director, Dundee Precious Metals Bulgaria
Krassimir Nenov, Co-Chair, AmCham Green Deal WG; Executive Director, ContourGlobal Maritsa East 3
H.E. Annick Goulet, Ambassador of Canada to Romania, Republic of Bulgaria, and Republic of Moldova
Miguel A. Hernandez, Senior Commercial Attache, U.S. Embassy to Bulgaria
Andrey Zhivkov, Minister of Energy, Republic of Bulgaria
Moderator: Petar T. Ivanov, CEO, AmCham Bulgaria
|14:30 – 15:45||Panel 1: EU Green Deal: Framework and Perspectives|
|Speakers:||Boyan Rashev, Managing Partner, denkstatt Bulgaria. |
EU Green Deal: Opportunities and Risk
Ass. Prof. Krassen Stanchev, Chairman, Institute for Market Economics.
Risks for the Regions: the Macroeconomic Outlook
Rolf Kuby, Director, Euromines (virtually)
Albena Markova, Partner, PwC, Consulting services SEE
Prof. Ivaylo Koprev, Ph.D., Rector, University of Mining and Geology “St. Ivan Rilski”, Sofia
Moderator: Nikolay Voynov, Senior Associate, Penkov, Markov and Partners Law Firm.
|15:45 – 16:00||Coffee Break|
|16:00 – 17:00||Panel 2: Business Leaders Discussion on EU Green Deal|
|Speakers:||Prof. Iliya Garkov, PhD, VP, Dundee Precious Metals; GM, Dundee Precious Metals Bulgaria|
Krassimir Nenov, Executive Director, ContourGlobal Maritsa East 3
Ivan Tzankov, Executive Director, AES Bulgaria
Marina Kobakova, Head of Client Coverage, ING Bank Bulgaria
Moderator: Veronika Denizova, Anchor, BloombergTV Bulgaria
|17:00 – 17:30||Q&A Session Open for Media|
|17:30 – 18:30||Reception|
The event is organized with the support of:
The EU Green Deal Transformation – Opportunities and Challenges will be a hybrid event and will be broadcast online. The in person presence is by invitations only.
Registration for both members of the Chamber and “EU Green Deal” Working Group is available from the drop-down menu below – Attendance options: