Rule of Law and the Business Environment in Bulgaria
Dear Members, Partners, and Friends,
On January 20, 2023, AmCham Bulgaria with the support of CIPE – Center for International Private Enterprise, America for Bulgaria Foundation, AG Capital, and ITower Development and with the partnership of British Bulgarian Business Association, Bulgarian-Swiss Chamber of Commerce, Confindustria Bulgaria, French-Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, German-Bulgarian Industrial Trade Chamber, Swedish Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, organized the Rule of Law and The Business Environment Conference at Sofia Balkan Palace.
With this initiative we aim to restart the public discourse on the topic in order to improve the business environment and the investment climate in Bulgaria.
- Olivier Marquette, AmCham Bulgaria President – “Rule of Law is Urgent Matter Now!”
- H.E. Herro Mustafa, U.S. Ambassador to Bulgaria – Remarks at the Conference
- Matthew H. Murray – Keynote at the Rule of Law Conference
- Rule of Law and the Reality of the Business Environment in Bulgaria Panel – watch video
- Rule of Law in Bulgaria: Views and Recommendations from the Lawyer’s Perspective Panel – watch video
With this event AmCham Bulgaria aims to raise the topic of Rule of Law and its business perspective to the broad public, as well as to continue engaging with institutions, stakeholders and partners for making a better business environment and investment climate in Bulgaria.
About the event
Following up on one of our priorities – active advocacy for the real and thorough improvement of the rule of law in Bulgaria, and striving to have a judicial system that is free of any political or economic influence, AmCham Bulgaria, together with other major business organizations in the country, aims to reinvigorate the debate on rule of law and get the message out that the business community considers rule of law to be fundamental to the economic prosperity of the country.
Looking at the upcoming conference as another opportunity to make the voice of the business heard and contribute to the betterment of the business climate in Bulgaria, we would like to invite you to a debate among business representatives and legal experts on the impact that certain systemic problems undermining the rule of law in the country have on the economic situation. We will also discuss what type of reforms could have a positive effect on
it the business environment in the country.
The conference will take place at Sofia Balkan Palace (former Sofia Hotel Balkan), Sredets Hall.
It is endorsed by the British Bulgarian Business Association, Bulgarian-Swiss Chamber of Commerce, Confindustria Bulgaria, French-Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, German-Bulgarian Industrial Trade Chamber, Hellenic-Bulgarian Business Council, Swedish Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce, and the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Olivier Marquette, AmCham Bulgaria President
Opening Remarks by confirmed speakers
- Krum Zarkov, Caretaker Minister of Justice, Republic of Bulgaria
- H.E. Herro Mustafa, Ambassador of the United States to Bulgaria
- H.E. Giuseppina Zarra, Ambassador of Republic of Italy to Bulgaria
- H. E. Joel Meyer, Ambassador of France to Bulgaria
- Stephan Röken, Chargé d’Affaires, Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
Matthew H. Murray, Adjunct Professor, Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs, Harriman Institute; International Expert on Innovating Solutions to Systemic Corruption
Throughout his career, Matthew Murray has worked at the intersection of U.S. foreign policy, international law, commerce, and political economy. His academic focus areas include national security and defense policy, international trade and economic diplomacy, business ethics and anti-corruption compliance, non-government organizations and civil society, international law, and human rights. Murray graduated from Columbia University School of Public and International Affairs in 1988 with an MIA and JD from Columbia Law School.
Business Environment Panel: Rule of Law and the Reality of the Business Environment in Bulgaria
Discussion of Rule of Law Issues impacting the business environment in Bulgaria.
- Bogdan Bogdanov, Executive Director, InvestBulgaria Agency
- Tsvetan Simeonov, Chairman, Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Boni Bonev, Chairman, Bulgarian Swiss Chamber of Commerce
- Dr. Maya Neidenowa, Vice President, German-Bulgarian Chamber of Industry and Commerce and Chair, Legal Commission of GBCIC
- Ivan Mihaylov, CEO, AmCham Bulgaria
- Vessela Todorova-Mosettig, Director, French-Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Moderator: Ruslan Stefanov, Program Director, Center for the Study of Democracy
Legal Panel: Rule of Law in Bulgaria: Views and Recommendations from the Lawyer’s Perspective
Discussing some aspects of the topics of administrative justice, confiscation, criminal justice, and state taxes, focusing the debate on the impact of these issues on the business environment in Bulgaria and what type of reforms could have a positive effect.
- Ass. Prof. Hristo Hristev, Ph.D, Sofia University
- Attn. Andrey Yankulov, Senior Legal Expert, Anticorruption Fund, Anti-Corruption Fund
- Att. Georgi Atanasov, Member of the Research and Methodology Centre at the Supreme Bar Council
- Angel Buzalov, Chair of Legal and Tax Committee, British Bulgarian Business Association
- Att. Domna Mancheva, Member of Legal Committee, Confindustria Bulgaria
Moderator: Omourtag Petkov, AmCham Bulgaria Board Member, Chairman, Rule of Law and Legislative Reform Committee, Partner, DGKV
In cooperation with:
Sponsorship opportunities are available here
Simultaneous translation English/Bulgarian will be provided.
Registration is complimentary for members of Registration is complimentary for members of AmCham Bulgaria, British Bulgarian Business Association, Bulgarian-Swiss Chamber of Commerce, Confindustria Bulgaria, French-Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, German-Bulgarian Industrial Trade Chamber, Hellenic-Bulgarian Business Council, Swedish Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce, and the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Registrations will be confirmed a day before the event with a dedicated mailing.
Registration is closed due to complete capacity.