Towards High Value Healthcare System in Bulgaria
On October 16th, 2023, the international conference “Towards High Value Healthcare system in Bulgaria” was held, organized by the Bulgarian-Swiss Chamber of Commerce (BSCC), German-Bulgarian Chamber of Industry and Commerce (GBICC), American Chamber of Commerce in Bulgaria (ACB) in partnership with the Digital Health Innovation Cluster (DHI Cluster). The event took place at the Grand Hotel Millennium Sofia and was attended by Prof. Dr. Kostadin Angelov, Chairman of the Health Committee at the 49th National Assembly, Prof. Dr. Hristo Hinkov, Minister of Health, Alexander Yolovski, Minister of eGovernment and Milena Stoicheva, Minister of Innovation and Growth. The Conference was attended by key stakeholders in the field such as representatives of associations and patient organizations, professionals from the sector, academic representatives, media, and others with whom the organizers will continue to be in active and productive contact to achieve common goals.
The conference is a logical continuation of the joint efforts started over three years ago by the three bilateral chambers in search of a transparent public dialogue between the stakeholders in the health sector. The three business associations propose the possible establishment of an effective format of cooperation to hold an open discussion to build consensus on the necessary steps to improve the health of Bulgarian citizens and the subsequent development of the health sector in the country.
Since 2021, the Bulgarian – Swiss Chamber of Commerce, the German-Bulgarian Industry and Trade Chamber, and the American Chamber of Commerce in Bulgaria have been advocating for the need for a neutral platform for policy discussion to the Ministry of Healthcare.
Over the past couple of months, we have restarted this great initiative and have decided to organize a strategic conference on the Bulgarian Healthcare System improvement. Last week we invited the Parliament Healthcare Committee Chair who expressed his willingness to support the event.
The conference will take place at Grand Hotel Millennium Sofia, Shakespeare Hall, Fl. 4
Professor of Global Health Systems,
Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard University
Prof. Atun was a Member of the Executive Management Team and Director of Strategy, Performance and Evaluation at the Global Fund, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008-2013. In the period 2006 – 2014, he was Professor of International Health Management and Director of the Centre for Health Management, Imperial College London.
15:30 – 16:00 Registration & Coffee
16:00 – 16:20 Official Opening
- H.E. Kenneth Merten, U.S. Ambassador to Bulgaria
- H.E. Irene Maria Plank, Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany to Bulgaria
- H.E. Raymund Furrer, Ambassador of Switzerland to Bulgaria
16:20 – 17:00 Session 1: Sustainability of the Healthcare Ecosystem
- Keynote speech: Rifat Atun, Professor of Global Health Systems at Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard University
- Healthcare System in Bulgaria – Where are We in Comparison to CE Europe? – Luka Chichov, Co-Chair, AmCham Healthcare Committee
- Moderated Q&A session
Moderator: Dr. Rosen Dimitrov, Chairman of the Board, DHI Cluster
17:00 – 17:30 Session 2: Priority Areas of the Bulgarian Healthcare. Digital Transformation
- Prof. Rifat Atun, Professor of Global Health Systems at Harvard School of Public Health
- Luka Chichov, Co-Chair, AmCham Healthcare Committee
- Radoy Pavlov, Head of Digital Architecture at University Hospital Zurich
- Ivaylo Filipov, CEO, Information Services
17:30 – 18:00 Wrap-up Discussion
- Prof. Kostadin Angelov, Chairman of the Healthcare Committee of the Parliament
- Prof. Dr. Hristo Hinkov, Minister of Healthcare
- Georgi Klisurski, Deputy Minister of Finance
- Milena Stoycheva, Minister of Innovation and Growth
- Alexandar Yolovski, Minister of E-governance
Moderator: Vassil Radoynovski, BSCC, Head of the Secretariat
18:00 – 19:30 Networking Reception
Registration is closed due to full capacity.
Please note that this is an invitation-only event. Your participation will be additionally confirmed by e-mail message.